Previously, an alien could have ownership in a condominium unit or bought a condominium unit in each condominium in a proportion not higher than forty percent of the total space of all units in that condominium at the time the application for condominium registration had been lodging.
Later, on April 28th, 1999, the Condominium Act was amended to facilitate an alien in the purchase of condominium unit. As such, an alien may have ownership in a condominium unit in a proportion not higher than forty nine percent of the total space of all units in that condominium at the time the application for condominium registration is being lodged. The amended Act also provides that an alien may have ownership in a condominium unit exceeding forty nine percent if the following rules are satisfied:
1. Such condominium shall be situated in Bangkok Metropolis, municipality area or other local administrative area i.e. the Pattaya Ciity;
2. The total area of the land on which a condominium is situated, when combined with the land provided for common use or benefit of all co-owners, shall not exceed five rai;
3. Such condominium shall accommodate not less than forty condominium units;
4. Such condominium shall be registered not less than one year prior to the date an alien applies for ownership in the condominium unit;
5. Such condominium shall not be situated in the area of military safety zone under the law on Military Safety Zone;
6. An alien shall utilize a condominium unit in a way that is not contrary to the local custom or good living of the local community;
However, in a five year term as from April 28th,1999, the rules concerning the acquisition of ownership by an alien in a condominium unit in a higher proportion than forty nine percent shall take effect. After that it shall be repealed, and the alien obtaining an ownership in this regard and the alien receiving an ownership in a condominium unit transferred by the former are allowed to continue holding the ownership in that condominium unit even in a higher proportion than forty nine percent.